Health and Safety Protocols
Our health and safety protocols will be updated as local, state, and CDC recommendations and guidance evolve and are outlined in the St. John's Return to School Plan.
- The evening before a school day, parents must take students’ temperatures and complete the health screening questionnaire in SchoolPass, a new student management platform we will introduce to St. John’s parents for the upcoming school year. Students will not be allowed to disembark from cars without having completed this screening. Details regarding the use of SchoolPass for daily health screenings and carpool will be provided in back-to-school communications.
- Employees will complete the same screening steps each school day.
In Case of Illness
To ensure the well-being of everyone, the following protocols will be implemented. Families and employees must adhere to these to help protect the health of our community:
- Daily at-home health screenings
- Adherence to hygiene protocols
- Wear face coverings and observe physical distancing protocols
- Respond to any health concerns using the decision tree (to be provided by DCHHS)
As we receive additional guidance from health and government officials, we will update the community with new protocols.
If a person identifies symptoms of COVID-19 during a home screening, he or she must follow the steps in the decision tree. Symptoms of COVID-19 include:
- new onset cough or shortness of breath by themselves OR at least two of the following:
- fever of 100ºF or higher
- sore throat
- loss of sense of smell or taste
- gastrointestinal symptoms of diarrhea, vomiting, or nausea
- new onset of severe headache, especially with fever
If a student or employee has a new symptom (e.g., new loss of smell only) with no other diagnosis to explain the symptom, he or she must remain home and talk to a health care provider about testing for COVID-19, even if it is the only symptom he or she is experiencing.
If a student or employee exhibits COVID-19 symptom(s) while at school, the Nurse will separate the ill person from routine clinic visitors who are in designated isolation rooms adjacent to the clinic. The Nurse will contact parents to pick up the student, and the family must follow the steps in the decision tree (to be provided by DCHHS).
Students and employees should not come to school if they become sick with COVID-19 symptoms, test positive for COVID-19, or have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 symptoms or a confirmed or suspected case. If a student or employee tests positive for COVID-19, and the case is confirmed by DCHHS, the School will notify our community and will follow DCHHS direction.
Air Filtration System
St. John's is enhancing its air filtration system to electrostatically clean our HVAC coils which will dramatically increase ventilation throughout the school. This will enhance our air circulation and quality by circulating fresh air into the building from outside.
Throughout the day, students will wash their hands with soap and water for 20 seconds. Hand sanitizer will also be available in each classroom and common area and its use encouraged when necessary.
We have been closely evaluating guidance from the American Academy of Pediatrics regarding face coverings and PPE, as well as that provided by government entities.
Under the current county order and following CDC guidance, all employees and students will be required to wear approved face coverings while on campus.
We will continue monitoring guidance from the AAP, CDC, and local and state governments, and we will provide families with the minimum standards for face coverings in back-to-school communications.